Related (15): needle, yarn, stitching, button, spool, seam, embroidery, fabric, tapestry, knot, quilting, hemming, crochet, darning, weaving
[THred] ✕ Play
thread (noun) · threads (plural noun) · screw thread (noun) · screw threads (plural noun)
- a long, thin strand of cotton, nylon, or other fibers used in sewing or weaving:
- cotton, nylon, or other fibers spun into long, thin strands and used for sewing:
- a long, thin line or piece of something:
- a theme or characteristic, typically forming one of several, running throughout a situation or piece of writing:
- (in online communication) a sequence of linked posts or messages.
- a programming structure or process formed by linking a number of separate elements or subroutines, especially each of the tasks executed concurrently in multithreading.
- a helical ridge on the outside of a screw, bolt, etc. or on the inside of a cylindrical hole, to allow two parts to be screwed together.
- pass a thread through the eye of (a needle) or through the needle and guides of (a sewing machine):
- pass (a long, thin object or piece of material) through something and into the required position for use:
- put (something) on a thread, chain, etc. that passes through it, especially in such a way as to connect a number of things by passing a thread through each:
- move carefully or skillfully in and out of obstacles:
- interweave or intersperse as if with threads:
- pluck hairs from (the eyebrows or another part of the body) using a twisted cotton thread:
- cut a screw thread in or on (a hole, screw, bolt, etc.):
Synonymsyarn, cotton, filament, fiber, strand, string, twine, line, ply, streak, strand, stripe, line, striation, strip, seam, vein, belt, bar, swathe, drift, direction, sense, theme, motif, tenor, strain, thrust, subject, gist, burden, action, plot, storyline, scenario, outfit, clothes, costume, ensemble, suit, clothing, dress, attire, garments, garb, turnout, rig, uniform, livery, array, regalia, robes, finery, apparel, raiment, habiliments, vestments, vesture, habit, pass, string, weave, work, ease, inch, move, push, poke, thrust, string, file, progress, pass
"Thread" Example Sentences
Common Phases- "Let's create a new thread"
- "I need to lock this thread"
- "The thread crashed"
- "This thread is taking too long"
- "Have you seen the latest post on the thread?"
- "The thread is now closed"
- "I'm about to start a new thread, any suggestions?"
- "I'm going to reply to this thread"
- "Can you merge these two threads into one?"
- "The thread is being heavily moderated"