Related (9): ring, phone, summon, beckon, dial, contact, notify, buzz, holler
[kôl] ✕ Play
call (verb) · calls (third person present) · called (past tense) · called (past participle) · calling (present participle)
- give (an infant or animal) a specified name:
- have a specified name:
- address or refer to (someone) by a specified name, title, endearment, or term of abuse:
- refer to, consider, or describe (someone or something) as being:
- cry out (a word or words):
- cry out to (someone) in order to summon them or attract their attention:
- (of an animal, especially a bird) make its characteristic cry:
- shout out or chant (the steps and figures) to people performing a square dance or country dance.
- make (a particular bid) during the auction:
- claim (a privilege) for oneself, typically by shouting out a particular word or set phrase:
- contact or attempt to contact (a person or number) by phone:
- use a phone to summon (someone or something, especially an emergency service or a taxi):
- order or request the attendance of:
- bring (a witness) into court to give evidence:
- draw critical attention to someone's unacceptable actions or behavior:
- cause (someone) to have a strong urge to choose a particular career or way of life:
- announce or decide that (an event, especially a meeting, strike, or election) is to happen:
- (of a person) pay a brief visit:
- (of an umpire or other official in a game) pronounce (a ball, stroke, or other action) to be the thing specified:
- predict the result of (a future event, especially an election or a vote):
- guess (the outcome) of tossing a coin:
- cause (a subroutine) to be executed:
- a cry made as a summons or to attract someone's attention:
- a series of notes sounded on a brass instrument as a signal to do something:
- a direction in a square dance given by the caller.
- a bid, response, or double:
- the characteristic cry of a bird or other animal:
- a device used to imitate the cry of a particular bird or other animal:
- an instance of speaking to someone on the phone or attempting to contact someone by phone:
- a brief social visit:
- a visit or journey made by a doctor or other professional in response to a request for help, especially in an emergency situation:
- an appeal or demand for something to happen or be done:
- demand or need for (goods or services):
- an order or request for someone to be present:
- a vocation:
- a powerful force of attraction:
- (in sports) a decision or ruling made by an umpire or other official, traditionally conveyed by a shout, that the ball has gone out of play or that a rule has been breached:
- a decision, judgement, or prediction:
- a command to execute a subroutine:
- a demand for payment of lent or unpaid capital.
- short for call option
- (in a bar, club, etc.) denoting or made with relatively expensive brands of liquor which customers request by name. Compare with well.
Synonymsname, christen, baptize, designate, style, term, dub, label, entitle, denominate, name, title, entitle, dub, designate, term, address, label, tag, christen, baptize, nickname, denominate, cry, shout, yell, whoop, bellow, roar, halloo, bawl, scream, shriek, screech, exclaim, ejaculate, vociferate, cry, shout, yell, whoop, bellow, roar, halloo, bawl, scream, shriek, screech, exclaim, ejaculate, vociferate, phone, telephone, dial, get, reach, ring, summon, order, page, convene, summon, order, assemble, arrange, announce, declare, convoke, cry, shout, yell, whoop, roar, scream, shriek, exclamation, vociferation, cry, song, sound, ring, visit, appeal, request, plea, entreaty, demand, order, command, need, necessity, occasion, reason, justification, grounds, excuse, pretext, cause, demand, desire, want, requirement, market, summons, request, vocation, mission, summons, attraction, appeal, lure, allure, allurement, fascination, seductiveness, magic, beauty, spell, pull, draw, well
"Call" Example Sentences
1. I'll give you a call.
2. Call it a day.
3. Call it a night.
4. I'll call you back.
5. Call me old-fashioned.
6. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
7. Call it beginner's luck.
8. Easier said than done.
9. No news is good news.
10. Call a spade a spade.
11. Call it quits.
12. Each to their own.
13. Where there's a will there's a way.
14. Takes one to know one.
15. Time will tell.
16. Actions speak louder than words.
17. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
18. There's no such thing as a free lunch.
19. The early bird catches the worm.
20. The exception proves the rule.