Related (11): grapple, struggle, tussle, scuffle, fight, brawl, combat, contend, clash, wrangle, contest.
[rest] ✕ Play
wrest (verb) · wrests (third person present) · wrested (past tense) · wrested (past participle) · wresting (present participle)
- forcibly pull (something) from a person's grasp:
- take (something, especially power or control) from someone or something else after considerable effort or difficulty:
- distort the meaning or interpretation of (something) to suit one's own interests or views:
- a key for tuning a harp or piano.
Synonymswrench, snatch, seize, grab, force, prise, peel, pluck, tear, rip, heave, twist, tug, pull, jerk, dislodge, pry
"Wrest" Example Sentences
Common Phases1. The two wrestlers grappled and wrestled for hours; both refusing to give up.
2. He had to wrestle with his conscience before making a decision; he knew the right thing to do but it wasn't easy.
3. The team had to wrestle with a difficult opponent, but they ultimately came out victorious.
4. She had to wrestle her way through the crowded market; it was a struggle to get to the other side.
5. The CEO had to wrest control of the company from his stubborn board members; it was a power struggle.
6. The politicians had to wrestle with the difficult issue of healthcare reform; there were many opposing viewpoints to consider.
7. She had to wrestle with the heavy suitcase up the stairs; it was a tiring task.
8. The athlete was known for his ability to wrestle his opponents to the ground; he was a force to be reckoned with.
› Wrest [rest] ✕ Play
› Wing [wiNG] ✕ Play
› Uncomprehending [ˌənˌkämprəˈhendiNG] ✕ Play
› Milford [ˈmilfərd] ✕ Play
› Stereography [ˌsterēˈäɡrəfē, ˌstirēˈäɡrəfē] ✕ Play
› Aboard [əˈbôrd] ✕ Play
› Waded [wād] ✕ Play
› Imperatively [imˈperədiv] ✕ Play
› Dorsiflex [ˈdôrsəˌfleks] ✕ Play
› Flagellates [ˈflajələt, ˈflajəˌlāt] ✕ Play
› Sedges [sej] ✕ Play
› Apodictic [ˌapəˈdiktik] ✕ Play
› Tres [trā] ✕ Play
› Bejewel [bəˈjo͞oəl] ✕ Play
› Vandalico [ˈvandl]
› Machisme [məˈkizmō, məˈCHizmō] ✕ Play
› Reinvigorates [ˌrēənˈviɡəˌrāt] ✕ Play
› Voyager [ˈvoi(i)j] ✕ Play
› Slalom [ˈsläləm] ✕ Play
› Bible [ˈbīb(ə)l] ✕ Play
› Baneberry [ˈbānˌberē] ✕ Play